I got my first comments saying “You forgot about [THIS ONE PERSON] in a list of explicitly ten people” so I feel like I’m legitimised as a writer on the internet.
- Two past Kings of Trios are also Kings of Flyers; Chuck Taylor and Incognito have both won the King of Trios and Rey de Voladores tournaments, Incognito having done both in the same year.
- Thus far, the only tag team that has won both a Tag World Grand Prix and a King of Trios is the Colony team of Fire Ant and Soldier Ant. Jigsaw, Hallowicked, and Claudio Castagnoli are all part of winning Tag World and King of Trios teams, but were not teaming with their Tag World partners during their Trios victories.
- While reigning champions have competed in King of Trios in the past, there has only been one Golden Trio; the team of campeones de parejas Hallowicked and Delirious, and Young Lion’s Cup Champion Helios. This year’s King of Trios will feature the second Golden Trio in history.
- As for competing reigning champions; Gran Akuma and Icarus, Ophidian and Amasis, Claudio Castagnoli and Ares, Mike Quackenbush and Jigsaw, and the Young Bucks were all campeones de parejas at the time of their appereances in the tournament, while Maxime Boyer, Equinox (Jimmy Olsen), Tim Donst, Frightmare, and Mr. Touchdown were all Young Lion’s Cup champions in their respective tournament appearances.
- Keeping with our championship theme, Ares and Claudio are the only competitors to win a King of Trios tournament while holding gold.
- Bad luck happens, and unfortunately a weekend like King of Trios is not safe from such luck. Nearly every King of Trios tournament has required the replacement of an announced competitor, the exception to the rule being King of Trios 2011. These are the following repacements to date; MASAMUNE for Nobutaka Moribe, Retail Dragon for Colin Olsen/Delaney, D’lo Brown for Iceberg, Curry Man for Cassandro, the Osirian Portal and Sara Del Rey for Jorge Rivera, Turbo, and Valiente, and Mihara, Tito Santana, and the Mysterious and Handsome Stranger for the Submission Squad. Los Ice Creams required a random draw for their third partner in 2008, but that was because they didn’t have an announced partner beforehand.
- Speaking of bad luck, no combination of the Throwbacks has ever made it past the first round. Joining them in that regard is 3.0, whom have never made it past round one with any of their partners (Max Boyer, El Generico, Gran Akuma).- Ready for the big one? There have been (oh man) 195 competitors in King of Trios history. The first 16 team tournament kicked off with 48 men, with the following year’s massive influx of teams bringing in 59 new names. The lowest influx of new names to the tournament came in 2010 and 2011, both garnering 20 new players each. Come this year’s tournament, there will have been over 200 competitors in King of Trios history.